Income Tax Department

(R.I.T.A Cleveland Office:  1-800-860-7482)


Annual Reports
Income Tax Dept
Utility Payments
Utility Rates


As of July 1, 2005 all Galion Income Tax is being processed by R.I.T.A.

( Regional Income Tax Agency )

1.   Mandatory filing for all residents of Galion age 18 and over, whether or not you earn an income, on or before April 15th of each year for the previous year.

2.   You should use the Medicare Wage in Box 5 or local wage in box 18 ( whichever is higher ) of the W-2 for income taxable to Galion.

3.   April 15th is the deadline for all extensions and returns.

4.   Lottery and gambling winnings are now taxable.

5.   If you own rentals, use the location of the rental when deciding which city tax is due.

6.   You may deduct contributions to Section 125 Cafeteria Plans.

7.   Non-qualified deferred comp plans are now taxable upon deferral. A non-qualified
deferred comp plan is any plan that does not fall in to the following categories:
b. Annuities
c. IRA/set plans
d. Exempt government deferred plans

8.   If you are a resident of Galion, but work in another city, you can take a 1% maximum credit for taxes to that city.



Note:  Adobe Reader is required to view the files.  You will need to download the reader - please see link at bottom of this page.

R.I.T.A. Filing Information
R.I.T.A. Office Information
Basic Tax Guidelines (112 Kb, Printable .pdf file)
2003-103 Tax Ordinance (234 Kb, Printable .pdf file)
2005-98 1/2 Percent Tax Increase Ordinance
State of Ohio Forms (this link will leave the Galion website)
Federal Tax Forms (this link will leave the Galion website)
R.I.T.A. Website (this link will leave the Galion website)

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q:  What is Galion's current Income Tax rate?
A:  2 % of gross income

Q:  How much credit can I claim for taxes paid to other cities?
A:  The limit on credit you may claim is 1%.

Q:  How can I get an extension with the City?
A:  Send a copy of your Federal Tax Extension to:

Regional Income Tax Agency
10107 Brecksville Rd.
Brecksville, Oh 44141-3275

Q:  Can I take a loss against W-2 wages?
A:  No. This law was changed for the 2002 tax season. If you have rental property, a business, or any type of supplemental income that results in a loss for the tax year, you may no longer take that loss against W-2 wages.



Home              Contact Us Private Policy  Legal NoticeDownload Adobe Acrobat Reader
Revised: 11/15/2012
 This website is created, sponsored and maintained by the City of Galion, Ohio. 
All materials, graphics and photos are owned and copyrighted and may not be copied, downloaded or used
 elsewhere without the written permission of the City of Galion, Ohio