Starting a Business
Thank you for choosing to start your business in Galion, Ohio.
What to do first
Call the Building Department at 419-468-2642 and provide the address of the proposed business. We will then:
- Check the zoning in the district. (View the zoning map.)
- Set up a convenient time for the utility transfer inspection.
- Issue or deny a zoning permit within 10 business days after the application is received.
- Provide you with information on obtaining a State Commercial Building Permit if remodeling must be done at your location.
- Give you information on the Design Review Application for signage and exterior work (if the business is located in the Design Review District).
- Provide you with any other information as needed.
If you have questions, you may schedule an appointment with the building inspector by calling 419-468-2642. The Building Department is located at 115 Harding Way East (in the Utility Office). Please note: Commercial projects are inspected by the Richland County Building Department. They can be contacted at 419-774-5517.
For any commercial change of use, change of occupancy, new construction or alterations project, a Galion Zoning Permit is required. Applications may be obtained at the Building Department, 115 Harding Way East. If everything is approved you will receive your permit within 10 business days.